Providing the amenities detailed below will ensure that you comply with the latest standards for site welfare facilities – the Managing Health & Safety in Construction, Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015, published by the Health & Safety Executive.
This CDM compliance document also offers practical examples of site accommodation good practice, based on our experience of serving leading construction contractors.
- Suitable and sufficient toilets must be provided or made available at readily accessible places.
- Rooms containing toilets must be adequately ventilated and lit.
- Toilets and the rooms containing them must be kept in a clean and orderly condition.
- Separate rooms containing toilets must be provided for men and women, except where each convenience is in a separate room, and the door can be secured from the inside.
- Suitable and sufficient washing facilities, including showers where needed, must be provided or made available at readily accessible places.
- Washing facilities must be provided in the same location as toilets and changing rooms
- Washing facilities must include a supply of clean hot and cold, or warm, running water, soap or other suitable means of cleaning; and towels or other suitable means of drying.
- Rooms containing washing facilities must be sufficiently ventilated and lit.
- Washing facilities and the rooms containing them must be kept in a clean and orderly condition.
- Separate whole body washing facilities must be provided for men and women, except where they are provided in a room where the door can be secured from inside and the facilities in each room are intended to be used by only one person at a time.
- Wholesome drinking water must be provided or made available at readily accessible places.
- Every supply of drinking water must be conspicuously marked by an appropriate sign.
- Sufficient cups or other drinking vessels must be provided, unless the supply of drinking water is in a jet from which persons can drink easily
Changing rooms and lockers
- Suitable and sufficient changing rooms must be provided or made available at readily accessible places if a worker has to wear special clothing for the purposes of construction work and cannot be expected to change elsewhere.
- There must be separate changing rooms for, or separate use of rooms by, men and women.
- Changing rooms must feature seating and include, where necessary, facilities to dry any special clothing and any personal clothing or effects.
- Suitable and sufficient facilities must, where necessary, be provided or made available at readily accessible places to enable persons to lock away any special clothing which is not taken home, personal clothing which is not worn during working hours and other personal effects.
- Sufficient, suitable rest rooms or areas must be provided or made available at readily accessible places.
- Rest rooms and areas must be equipped with an adequate number of tables and seating with backs for the number of persons at work likely to use them at any one time. Where necessary, include suitable facilities for any woman at work who is pregnant or who is a nursing mother to rest lying down. Include suitable arrangements to ensure that meals can be prepared and eaten and means of boiling and maintaining water at an appropriate temperature.
Algeco provides a full interior and exterior turnkey hire service with most temporary and portable buildings. So, if you have any questions about our CDM Compliance Checklist or any of our products, please do not hesitate to get in touch, and a member of our expert team will be more than happy to advise you.